Lots happened Monday. First of all, Mom toured Craig Hospital with Bob Asmuth and Mary Heigel. They were all extremely impressed. The have a “never say never” attitude. They encourage active participation from the family, and they will have a custom-made wheelchair for Joel within his first 24 hours there.
They are going to be able to give Erika a place to stay, and we will give her a car. So Joel, Erika and all of us decided Craig is the place to be. Right now it’s a wait-and-see game as to when he will go.
I was just told that Craig will keep a bed open for him until Thursday. Joel and I are hoping he can leave tomorrow sometime. The big thing is his chest tubes and whether the doctors will sign off on a transfer. They may leave the tubes in for transfer. The transfer will include: putting Joel in an ambulance and taking him to the Flagstaff airport, then flying him to Centenial airport in Denver and then putting him into an ambulance to Craig hospital. Erika will go with him for the whole transfer.
I talked to Dr. Glover, Joel’s spinal surgeon, this morning. He said Joel has “sailed through surgery.” He’s seeing a lot of good progress. He didn’t say anything about increased sensation, but he liked the way his chest x-ray looked. So Joel and Erika will be in Denver either Wednesday or Thursday.
Today, Joel might leave his ICU room and visit the hospital — maybe even go outside. He’s sleeping and eating well and his mucus is diminishing. This is all great news.